Sunday, May 6, 2012

Sunday Salon



I have been missing for quite a while from writing reviews for my blog. I have decided to publicly announce my efforts to write at least one review or post a week. I have recently read The Art of Non-Conformity based on the recommendation of Erin Reads blog, and I have found it to have had the wonderful effect of motivating me more than any other book on the topic of changing one's life (and I have read many!). Chris Guillebeau, the author of The Art of Non-Conformity, has a blog which I hope will continue to inspire me to make genuine, lasting changes to my life, as well as the new blog by Erin of Erin Reads - {re}made by hand. These past 2 weeks I have started to declutter one or more similar objects everyday. And the feeling that comes from releasing items, which had only made me feel guilty for the money I wasted on the purchase of this unnecessary item, is wonderful! There is a greater sense of peace and clarity of mind by having less clutter around. I feel more in control and in possession of a greater knowledge of the things I want in my life. Reading has been an important part of my life since my earliest memories of childhood. It makes me happy! This is one of my passions I wish to pursue on a more consistent basis and in greater depth (actually review the books). Guillebeau recommends writing 1,000 words a day. For now, my goal will be to just write my thoughts everyday after reading and then count up the words. This will help me to then write the review more easily.


The past few months I have been reading a lot of great books. I always find myself drifting towards non-fiction titles. I don't know if it is because they are quicker reads or I'm just interested in a variety of topics. But I must remind myself of the feelings evoked inside me when I read fiction: weeping as Lady Jane Grey, an innocent young girl, is beheaded in Innocent Traitor; changing my feelings daily for Jaime, the Kingslayer, in A Song of Ice and Fire fantasy series; feeling as though I am a part of the magical circus in The Night Circus - I remember practicing with my brother to be circus performers day after day when we were youngsters.

I would like to read 6 books a month, with 4 being the minimum. As life changes from month to month and the crazy trials that come with being in a family of six, this will be my goal!

Hope we all have a great reading week!

No comments:

Post a Comment